Friday, August 2, 2013

Italian Bread Crumb chicken, Sausage Gravy & Biscuits, Fall, Fair Time & Psalms!

 This is a nice chicken dinner.  This is what dinner looks like when I get hungry....Lots of times in the summer, when I've been working hard outdoors, I let them all fend for themselves and don't cook.  When I do cook, it's because...I got hungry.
You know those Italian Bread Crumbs you can buy in the grocery store?  Well, you just take chicken parts, roll them in melted butter, roll them in Italian Bread Crumbs, lay them in a baking pan, sprinkle a few more crumbs on top & bake for about an hour at 375*.  Voila!  Chicken dinner.  Of course we completed it with spuds from the garden, cooked carrots & chicken gravy.
 We butchered a pig a couple months back and it has been some of the best pork I've eaten.  One morning I made sausage gravy & biscuits.  Super easy and oh, so good!
Brown your sausage.
Add 1/2 cup flour & stir.  Bit of salt & Pepper...
Pour in enough milk to cover (don't get carried away, you can add some more if it gets too thick)
Stir til thickened, slide to the back of the stove or turn the burner to low while you make biscuits!

 Fall is my favorite time of the year.  I LOVE Fall.  Autumn....Acorns.....Oak leaves.....Maple leaves......Alder leaves.....Pumpkins.......
Squash...........Harvest time..........

 I don't really like Halloween or evil stuff, but I'm making a few non-evil primitives for the Fall season.  When I was a kid, Halloween was just mild fun, who could gather the most candy, carve the best Jack-O-Lantern.  Things have changed.
 We've been digging potatoes, watering the garden & flowers on the porch.  Taking care of the two calves, three goat kids, the milk goats.......In a few more weeks all the calves & kids will be weaned and chores will be shorter & easier!  There'll be more milk for us then, too! 

Right now we're trying to get as much done as possible so that while we're working at the Fair for the next two weeks, the Farm won't fall apart while we're gone!
 Here's a corner of 'our' building at the Fair.  We'll be there a whole lot in the next two weeks!  We're there for check in, judging, decorating & displaying next week.  The following week, our Southwest Washington Fair runs from Tuesday, August 13 through Sunday, August 18 and we'll be in this building most of the time, hanging out with the canning, quilts, doilies, afghans, clothing, craft projects......
 The quilt on the top with the black borders (and only a red ribbon) is one I entered last year.
These are a few of last year's pictures.....
 We already did the shopping for prizes, but we'll have to decorate a prize cabinet & display them like this one we did last year.

This is a display of some of my machines that I brought in.  Lots of people seemed to enjoy seeing them and we heard some fun stories about other's people's memories of treadle machines!
Well, my posts are sporadic this time of year while the outdoors is calling and the Fair is looming.
I'll end off for today with a powerful bit of scripture I read from my morning devotions.....

Psalm 62: 5-8
5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I was thinking of leaving a snarky comment about making us read recipes, but then you changed gears and told us about what a busy month you'll be having at the Fair -- as though your last few weeks haven't been busy enough! -- and then you top it off with my mama's treadle sewing machine (the one on the left) and Psalm 62. Bravo, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete