Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hamburger Buns, Lemon Curd, Scones & Primitives!

 This blog sounds like all I do is cook.  And bake.  Not true!  I do a lot of cooking and baking, true, but I also sew, do craft work, farm & garden chores, etc.  We live like in the old days, close to the farm, but we still enjoy all our conveniences - computer, electricity, running water.....you know.  We just don't buy a lot of convenience foods, so if we want to eat, well, we have to work!  This is going to be a LONG blog today because I've been....well.......cooking.

Hamburger buns.  I detest those puffy, stale tasting storebought ones.  So I made a couple dozen.
 This is my favorite recipe.  It's quick and easy and makes DELICIOUS buns.....2 dozen of them. 
 Wow.  Those LOOK like my mother's hands.....or maybe my GRANDMOTHER'S HANDS!!!!!   Ugh.   They're mine.  Well, at least they're doing a good job flattening out those hamburger buns.
 Don't they look yummy?  This is only half of them!
Guess what we had for dinner the day I made these?
(duh, hamburger on a bun!)

This was yesterday, I think.  Or maybe the day before.  I can't keep up!
 I KNOW this was today.  This morning, as a matter of fact.  I grated lemons and them sqeezed them and made LEMON CURD.  When I first heard of it, I thought it sounded GROSS.  Who ever heard of.....curd anyhow?  Well, it's more like a sweet/tangy lemon pudding and it's DELECTABLE.
Oh, yeah.
 You can google a recipe, but basically you grate up the zest of three or four lemons, then add that to 1 1/2 cups of sugar and one cube (1/2 cup) butter.  Beat in 4 eggs (our homegrown ones make it a nice yellow color).  Then add in a bit of salt and the juice of 3-4 lemons (1/2 cup).
Put it in a double boiler (water in the bottom kettle, lemon mixture in the top....) and cook over high heat, stirring until it begins to thicken....like pudding.

 Keep breathing in the lemony goodness while stirring.
 Pour into little jars so that if you don't eat it all right this minute, you can store it in the fridge and eat the rest in the night......
 While it cools just a bit, you can whip out some scones (I did, so you can, too!!!).

Turn your oven on to 400*.  In your mixer bowl, put 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. soda, 1/2 tsp salt and a cube of frozen butter chopped fine (yes).  Mix.  Then throw in 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 egg (work those hens!) and a handful of craisins (or raisins if you like).  Mix until dough forms.  Roll or pat into an 8 or 9" circle, cut into wedges (I did 12).  Place on baking sheet.......
 .......in your 400* oven and bake until golden on top - about 12-16 minutes or so.
 Oh boy.  Try to do this quietly.....like a mouse.....so that you can eat several before anyone else notices or you might not get enough!
 We didn't bother splitting them, just spoon some Lemon Curd over the top, pour some coffee and sit down and relax for a bit.  WOW.
 I finished this little primitive prairie rag doll this morning, listed her on Ebay and by the time I got back from doing the milking & feeding chores....she had sold!   Don't you love her hair?  It's sheep wool!!!
 I also listed these primitive little bees....
....and four little bats.  I started them yesterday and finished them up last night.  Then I had to get pictures taken and get them listed, too.

My mom had chemo treatment today, so I had to run into town (40 minutes to town, 40 minutes at the Cancer Center and 40 minutes back!).  I stopped in a fruit stand in town and bought a flat of raspberries and a box of pickling cukes.  Froze the raspberries to make jam later and will make pickles tomorrow.....stay tuned!

Now I'm tired.  We also are watching the closest neighbor's doggie, so had to run down there (3/4 mile and actually I drove) three times today to walk ShayShay.
Here's my sentiment for the evening, now that day is done.....
Out of the dreariness,
Into its cheeriness,
Come we in weariness,
Home.
                                                (author unknown)

2 comments:

  1. As usual, I'm weary just reading about all your activities.

    But I bet you sleep well at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all that baking and hen squeezing, I can only imagine you are making Zzzz's.
    I have to try to make everything listed for today's post.
    Thank you for making me tired, too!

    ReplyDelete