Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A Lighthearted Look at our Foibles and Frailties


Twas two nights before Christmas and I and my spouse
Had just finished setting some traps for that mouse
It kept us awake eating holes in our wall
It can't be a mouse - it isn't that small.

It's a RAT, said my hubby, coming up with a thought.
I'll put some PB on that trap that you bought.
We'll stop their noises, destruction and stink.
That should do it; stop them; catch them, I think.

The roof has been leaking, our spirits deflated.
Our sense of adventure has really abated.
Crowded and cluttered, a bit overwrought,
Still building and working on this Kitsap lot.

We're tired and weary, old bones need a rest.
Our stamina and patience put to the test.
We'll make it, we've got to, this is all that we've got.
This old rundown cabin on this old rundown lot.

Christmas is coming, we've got to be jolly,
Put aside sad thoughts of the Doylesville Folly.
We must rise to the occasion, remember the season
That Christ came to earth, for a very good reason.

For we cannot survive without His shining Light
Each day is too dark if you live just by sight
We'll trust Him to guide us, to bring us all through
And we'll make this a home if it's the last thing we do!

WISHING YOU AND YOURS A VERY BLESSED AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4 comments:

  1. You’ll make it! And that’s an adorable poem. Merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poem! It says it all.. what you're doing now, what you're going through, and what your experiencing! Have Faith and Hope.... take a day of rest now and then... I'm amazed at what you're doing.. I did the same thing 42 years ago on 9 acres east of Vancouver, WA! But my bones weren't old then.. and it was hard even then! Have a Blessed Christmas above all.. with your sweet family and grands. And OH... hope you got that rat! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is your homesteading coming along? It's nearly April and we haven't heard a thing. I hope you and hubs are hunkering down like the rest of us. Praying that all is well in your part of Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also thinking of you the other day and wondering how you are doing up there on the "thumb" of Washington! Hope you and your family are well and healthy. Spring is just around the corner and I bet the grasses and weeds are starting to grow prolifically there! I remember when I lived up in Washougal, WA, spring would bring lots of green (and weeds!). Take care.. update us when you can! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete